Pueraria mirifica References List
Pueraria mirifica pills (White Kwao krua ) Studies References
1. Lapanantasin S, Chindewa R, Chaovipoch P and Chongthammakun S. Department of Anatomy, Faculty of science, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
Neuroprotective effects of Pueraria Mirifica on ischemic-induced neuronal death. International Society of Neurochemistry, Journal of Neurochemistry 88 (Suppl. 1) 2004.
2. Potee, Alicia. Health Sciences Institute. An ancient Thai “miracle” herb reveals itself to be a real-life fountain of youth. HSI September 2007, Vol. 12, No. 3.
3.Wattanapitayakul, SK, PhD, Chularojmontri Linda, MS, Srichirat S, PhD. Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, Srinakharinwirot University; Inter-Department of Pharmacology, Graduate School, Chulalongkorn University; Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Veterinary, Chulalongkorn University. Effects of Pueraria Mirifica on Vascular Function of Ovariectomized Rabbits. J Med Assoc Thai 2005; 88 (suppl 1): S21-9.
4.Chansakaow S, Ishikawa T, Sekine K. Isoflavonoids from Pueraria Mirifica and their estrogenic activity. Planta Med 2000; 66:572-5.
5. Chansakaow S, Ishikawa T, Seki H, Sekine K, Okada M, Chaichantipyuth C.
Faculty of Pharmaeceutical Sciences and Chemical Analysis Center, Chiba University,
1-33 Yayoi, Image, Chiba 263-8522, Japan, R & D Division, Nippon Kayaku Co., Otd.,
3-31-12 Shimo, Kita, Tokyo 115-8588, Japan and Department of Pharmacognosy,
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Chulalongkorn, University, Bangkok 10330,
Thailand. Identification of deoxymiroestrol as the actual rejuvenating principle of “Kwao Keur”, Pueraria Mirifica. The known miroestrol may be an artifact. J Nat Prod 2000; 63:173-5.
6.Lee, YS, Park JS, Cho SD, Son Jk, Cherdshewasart W, Kang KS. Faculty of
Pharmaceutical Sciences and Chemical Analysis Center, Chiba University, 1-33 Yayoi,
Inage, Chiba 263-8522 Japan, R & D Division, Nippon Kayaku Co., Ltd., 3-31-12
Shimo, Kita, Tokyo 115-8588, Japan and Department of Pharmacognosy, Faculty of
Pharmaceutical Sciences, Chulalongkorn University of Bangkok 10330, Thailand.
Requirement of metabolic activation for estrogenic activity of Pueraria Mirifica. J Vet Sci 2002; 3:273-7.
7. Chirawatkul S, Patanasri K, Koochaiyasit C. Perceptions about menopause and health practices among women in northeast Thailand. Nursing and Health Sciences (2002) 4:113-121.
8. Trisomboon, H, Malaivijitnond S, Suzuki J, Hamada Y, Watanabe G, Taya K. Long-
term treatment effects of Pueraria Mirifica phytoestrogens on parathyroid hormone and calcium levelsin aged menopausal Cynomolgus monkeys. J Reprod Develop 50 (6):639-645, 2004.
9. Jeon GC, Park MS, Yoon DY, Shin CH, Sin HS, Um SJ. Department of Bioscience and
Biotechnology/Institute of Bioscience, Sejong University, Seoul 143-747 Korea;
Chebigen Inc., 305-B, Chungmugwan Sejong University, Seoul 143-747 Korea;
Laboratory of Cell Biology Korea Research Institute of Bioscience and Biotechnology
Daejeon 305-333 Korea; Seohae Environment Science Institute, Chonbuk National
University Total Research Complex Jeonbuk 865-854 Korea. Anti-tumor Activity of
Spinasterol Isolated from Pueraria roots. Exp Mol Med. 2005 Apr 30; 37 (2):111-20.
10. Ansquer Y, Legrand A, Bringuier AF, Vadrot N, Lardeux B, Mandelbrot L, Feldmann G. Progesterone induces BRCA1 mRNA decrease, cell cycle alterations and apoptosis in the MCF7 breast cancer cell line. Anticancer Res. 2005 (1A):243-8.
11. Pozo-Guisado E, Merino JM, Mulero-Navarro S, Lorenzo-Benayas MJ, Centeno F,
Alvarez-Barrientos A, Salguero PM. Resveratrol-induced apoptosis in MCF-7 human breast cancer cells involves a caspase-independent mechanism with down regulation of Bci-2 and NF-kappaB. Int J Cancer 2005 May 20; 115(1):74-84.
12. Chandeying V, MD, Lamlertkittikul S, MD. Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Medicine Prince of Songkla University, Hat Yai, Songkhla; Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Hat Yai Regional Hospital, Hat Yai Songkhla. Challenges in the Conduct of Thai Herbal Scientific Study: Efficacy and Safety of Phytoestrogen, Pueraria Mirifica (Kwao Keur Kao), Phase I, in the Alleviation of Climacteric Symptoms in Perimenopausal Women, J Med Assoc Thai 2007; 90, 7: 1274-80.
13. Manonai J, MD, Chittacharoen A, MD, Theppisai U, MD, and Teppisai H, MD.
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Medicine, Ramathibodi Hospital,
Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand. Effect of Pueraria Mirifica on Vaginal Health, Menopause Vol. 14, No. 5, 2007.
14.Osborne DJ and Hallaway Mary. Agricultural Research Council Unit of Experimental
Agronomy, Department of Agriculture and Department of Botany, Oxford. Miroestrol, A Plant Oestrogen, Shows No Effects On Protein Metabolism in Leaves.
15. D’Amelio Frank S, Sr., and Mirhom Youssef W, Dr. Pueraria Mirifica “The Miracle Root” , Cosmeceuticals Now Vol. 1, 11 (2004).
16. Cain, James C., Dr. National Research Development Corporation, London, W.I Miroestrol:An Oestrogen From The Plant Pueraria Mirifica. Nature Vol. 168, Dec 3, 1960.
17. Urasopon N, Hamada Y, Asaoka K, Cherdshewasart W, Malaivijitnond. Biological Science Ph.D Program, Faculty of Science, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok 10330, Thailand; Primate Research Institute, Kyoto University, Inuyama, Aichi 484-8506, Japan; Primate Research Unit, Department of Biology, Faculty of Science, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok 10330, Thailand. Pueraria Mirifica, a phytoestrogen-rich herb, prevents bone loss in orchidectomized rats. Maturitas 56 (2007) 322-331.
18. Anthony C. Dweck FLS FRSC FRSH, Dweck Data, 8 Merrifield Road, Ford, Salisbury, Wiltshire SP4 6DF, UK. The role of natural ingredients in anti-ageing of the skin, Page 4. Australian Society of Cosmetic Chemists, Annual Congress, Hamilton Island 2003.
19. Dechapunya C, Watchareewan T, Tapaneeyaphan P, Poonyachoti S. Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, Srinakharinwirot University, Sukhumvit 23, Wattana, Bangkok 10110 Thailand; Department of Physiology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, Patumwan. Bangkok 10300 Thailand. Possible Effects of Pueraria Merifica on growth of Primary Culture of Porcine Endometrial Cells and Human Endometrial Cancer Cells. Abstract.
20. Lemon HM. Pathophysiological Considerations in the Treatment of Menopausal Patients with Oestrogens; The Role of Oestriol in the Prevention of Mammary Carcinoma. Review. Acta Endocrinol Suppl (Copenh) 1980;233:17-27.
21. Schiff I, Tulchinsky D, Ryan KJ, Kadner S, Levitz M. Plasma Estriol and its Conjugates Following Oral and Vaginal Administration of Estriol to Post-
Menopausal Women:Correlations with Gonadotropin Levels. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1980 Dec 15;138(8):1137-41.
22. Punnonen R, Vaajalahti P, Teisala K. Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology,
University Central Hospital, Tempere, Finland. Local Oestriol Treatment Improves the Structure of Elastic Fibers in the Skin of Post-Menopausal Women. Clinical Trial. Ann Chir Gynaecol Suppl 1987;202:39-41.
23. Tercan M, Cokkeser Y, Ozyazgan I, Bekerecioglu M, Sari I. Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Gaziantep University, Turkey. Facilitated Tissue Expansion with Topical Estriol. Ann Plast Surg 2001 Jun;46(6):617-20.
24.Kainz C, Gitsch G, Stani J, Breitenecker G, Binder M, Schmidt JB. 2nd Department
of Gynecology and Obstetrics, University of Vienna, School of Medicine, Austria. When Applied to Facial Skin, Does Estrogen Ointment Have Systemic Effects? Arch Gynecol Obstet 1993;253(2):71-4.
25.Iosif, CS. Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Lund, Sweden.
Effects of Protracted Administration of Estriol on the Lower Genito Urinary Tract in Post-Menopausal Women. Arch Ghyecol Obstet 1992;251(3):115-20.
26.Lose G, Englev E. Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Glostrup County
Hospital, Copenhagen University, Denmark. Oestradiol-Releasing Vaginal Ring Versus Oestriol Vaginal Pessaries in the Treatment of Bothersome Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms. Clinical Trial. BJOG 2000 Aug;107(8):1029-34.
27. Chlebowski, Rowan T. MD PhD. Reducing the Risk of Breast Cancer.
(“Tamoxiphen”) Harbor-UCLA Research and Education Institute, Torrance California. Volume 343, Number 3, July 20, 2000.
28.Takahashi K, Okada M, Ozaki T, Kurioka H, Manabe A, Kanasaki H, Miyazaki K.
Safety and Efficacy of Oestriol for Symptoms of Natural or Surgically Induced Menopause. Clinical Trial. Hum Reprod 2000 May; 15(5):1028-36.
29.Schmidt JB, Binder M, Demschik G, Bieglmayer C, Reiner A. Department of
Dermatology, University of Vienna Medical School, Austria. Treatment of Skin Aging with Topical Estrogens. Clinical Trial. Int J Dermatol 1996 Sep;35(9):669-74.
30.Tzingounis VA, Aksu MF, Greenblatt RB. Estriol in the Management of the
Menopause. Jama 1978 Apr 21;239(16):1638-41.
31.Hayashi T, Ito I, Kano H, Endo H, Iguchi A. Department of Geriatrics, Nagoya
University School of Medicine, Japan. email@example.com. Estriol (E3) Replacement Improves Endothelial Function and Bone Mineral Density in Very Elderly Women. Clinical Trial. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 2000 Apr;55(4):B183-90;Discussion B191-3.
32.Manonai J, Theppisai U. Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of
Medicine, Ramathibodi Hospital, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand. Effect of Oral Estriol on Urogenital Symptoms, Vaginal Cytology, and Plasma Hormone Level in Post-Menopausal Women. J Med Assoc Thai 2001 Apr;84(4):539-44.
33.Cherdshewasart W, Kitsamai Y, Malaivijitnond S. Evaluation of the Estrogenic Activity of the Wild Pueraria Mirifica by Vaginal Cornification Assay. Journal of Reproduction and Development, Vol. 53 (2007), No. 2, April pp.385-393.
34. Longcope C. Estriol Production and Metabolism in Normal Women. J Steroid Biochem 1984 Apr;20(4B):959-62.
35. Granberg S, Eurenius K, Lindgren R, Wilhelmsson L. Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Central Hospital, Elverum, Norway, firstname.lastname@example.org. The Effects of Oral Estriol on the Endometrium in Post-Menopausal Women. Clinical Trial. Maturitas 2002 Jun 25;42(2):149-56.
36. Yoshimura T, Okamura H. Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Kumamoto University School of Medicine, Honjo 1-1-1, 860-8556, Kumamoto Japan. email@example.com. Short-Term Oral Estriol Treatment Restores Normal Pre-Menopausal Vaginal Flora to Elderly Women. Maturitas 2001 Sep 28;39(3):253-7.
37. Takahashi K, Manabe A, Okada M, Kurioka H, Kanasaki H, Miyazaki K. Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Shimane Medical University, Izumo Japan. firstname.lastname@example.org. Efficacy and Safety of Oral Estriol for Managing Post-Menopausal Symptoms. Maturitas 2000 Feb 15;34(2):169-77.
38. Itoi H, Minakami H, Iwasaki R, Sato I. Clinical Trial. Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Jichi Medical School, Minamikawachi-machi, 329-04, Tochigi, Japan. Comparison of the long-term effects of oral estriol with the effects of conjugated estrogen on serum lipid profile in early menopausal women. Clinical Trial. Maturitas 2000 Oct 31;36(3):217-22.
39. Schmidt JB, Binder M, Macheiner W, Kainz C, Gitsch G, Bieglmayer C. Department of Special and Environmental Dermatology, University of Vienna Medical School, Wien Austria. Treatment of Skin Ageing Symptoms in Peri-Menopausal Females with Estrogen Compounds. A pilot study. Maturitas 1994 Nov;20(1):25-30.
40. Haspels AA, Luisi M, Kicovic PM. Endocrinological and Clinical Investigations in Post-Menopausal Women Following Administration of Vaginal Cream Containing Oestriol. Maturitas 1981 Dec;3(3-4)L321-7.
41. Kuramoshi Professor, Smitasiri Y Assoc Professor. School of Medicine, Saint Mariane University, Tokyo Japan, School of Science, Mae Fah Luang University, Chiang Rai Thailand. Preliminary study of Pueraria Mirifica in Japanese. Mid-February and 1st Week August 1999.
42. Melamed M, Castano E, Notides AC, Sasson S. Department of Pharmacology, School of Pharmacy, Faculty of Medicine, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel. Molecular and Kinetic Basis for the Mixed Agonist/Antagonist Activity of Estriol. Mol Endocrinol 1997 Nov;11(12):1868-78.
43. Ritchie M PhD MRSC, Young, R PhD MNIMH. Protocol for Assessment of
Mechanism of Action of Pueraria Mirifica on the Alpha and Beta Receptor of a Selected Breast Cancer Cell Line. Napier University August 4, 2007. (CONFIDENTIAL)
44.Koloszar S, Kovacs L. Szent-GyorgyiAlbert Orvostudomanyi Egyetem,
Szuleszeties Nogyogyaszati Klinika, Szeged. [Treatment of Climacteric Urogenital
Disorders with an Estriol-Containing Ointment] – [Article in Hungarian]. Orv Hetil 1995 Feb 12;136(7):343-5.
45. Chandeying V. MD, Sangthawan M. MD. Faculty of Medicine, Prince of Songkhla
University, Hat Yai, Songkla, Hat Yai Regional Hospital, Hat Yai, Songkla.
Efficacy Comparison of Pueraria Mirifica (PM) Against Conjugated Equine
Estrogen (CEE)With/Without Medroxyprogesterone Acetate (MPA) in the Treatment of Climacteric Symptoms in Perimenopausal Women: Phase III Study. J Med Assoc Thai 2007; 90 (9): 1720-6.
46.Chandeying V. MD, Lamlertkittikul S, Lamlertkittikul P, Schauss Alex. Faculty of
Medicine Prince of Songkla University, Hat Yai, Thailand, Hat Yai Center Hospital, Hat Yai, Thailand. Efficacy and Safety of Pueraria Mirifica (Kwao Keur Kao) for the Treatmen of Vasomotor Symptoms in Perimenopausal Women: Phase II Study.
47.Smitasiri Yuthana, Professor, Mae Fah Luang University, Chiang Rai, Thailand Are White Kwao Krew Products Interesting for Use? September 13, 2002
48.Somkhit Banomyong. Secrets of Pueraria Mirifica Revealed April 11, 2001
49. Premarket Notification for Pueraria Candollei var. Mirifica Root Extract As a Dietary Ingredient. A Paper
50. The Science Behind Pueraria Mirifica. A Paper
51. Thai Patents on Kwao Krua (Pueraria Mirifica). Book Excerpt, Pages 51-54.
52.The Ingredient of Pueraria Tuberous Root. Luang Anusarnsoondhorn Upasipong; Printing May 15, 1931
53. Revision of the Genus Pueraria DC. With Some Notes On Teyleria Backer. (Leguminosae) Van Der Maesen, L.J.G. Agricultural University Wageningen, The Netherlands 1985.
54.Subcharoen, Pennapa, Deputy Director-General, Department for Development of Thai Traditional and Alternative Medicine, Chthaputti, Anchalee, Senior Pharmacist, Institute of Thai Traditional Medicine, Ministry of Public Health, Thailand. Thai Traditional Medicine Kingdom of Thailand
55. Pilling David, Bardacke Ted. Genetic Pirates Walk the Plank. Financial Times, January 9, 1999 Page 7.
56. Pueraria Mirifica pills “Kwao Kreu Kao” Rejuvenating Herbal Products. Thailand Medicinal Plant Research Institute, Department of Medical Sciences, Ministry of Public Health, Thailand July 2000.
57.Subcharoen Pannapa Dr., Jaidee Vichaya Mrs. Thai Wisdom for Global Health.
The Thai Traditional Medicine Development Foundation Ministry of Public Health, Thailand July 2004
58.Mirhom Yossef , Ph.D. Pueraria Mirifica “The Miracle Root”.
Pueraria mirifica studies
Thai biologist claims tuber can enlarge bust size
Pueraria mirifica decreases breast tumor incidence
Efficacy comparison of Pueraria mirifica (PM) against conjugated equine estrogen (CEE) with/without medroxyprogesterone acetate (MPA) in the treatment of climacteric symptoms in perimenopausal women: phase III study
Pueraria mirifica reduce Breast cancer risks
Research and Study on Pueraria mirifica
A national – level committee is set up to push for export – processing.
The effect of Pueraria mirifica on cytologic and urodynamic findings in ovariectomized rats.Effects and safety of Pueraria mirifica on lipid profiles and biochemical markers of bone turnover rates in healthy postmenopausal women.
Effects and safety of Pueraria mirifica on lipid profiles and biochemical markers of bone turnover rates in healthy postmenopausal women.
Long-term treatment effects of Pueraria mirifica phytoestrogens on parathyroid hormone and calcium levels in aged menopausal cynomolgus monkeys.
Pueraria mirifica, a phytoestrogen-rich herb, prevents bone loss in orchidectomized rats.
Finished herbal product as an alternative treatment for menopausal symptoms in climacteric women.
Efficacy and safety of Pueraria mirifica (Kwao Kruea Khao) for the treatment of vasomotor symptoms in perimenopausal women: Phase II Study.
Challenges in the conduct of Thai herbal scientific study: efficacy and safety of phytoestrogen, pueraria mirifica (white kwao krua) phase I, in the alleviation of climacteric symptoms in perimenopausal women.
Beneficial Estrogenic Effects of Pueraria mirifica on Vaginal Health in Postmenopausal Women
Medical Reports on the Effectiveness of Phytoestrogens
Pueraria mirifica clinical study in Premenopausal women
Case Control Study of Phytoestrogens and Reduction in breast-cancer risk
Pueraria mirifica (White Kwao krua ) References
Pueraria mirifica pills